22 July 2011

Woobie

Growing up, I had a woobie that I loved dearly.  I carried it around everywhere and sucked my thumb until I was, well, let's not get in to details about how long I actually sucked my thumb.  My favorite part is the silky binding that goes around my woobie.  I still have my woobie (and a backup) and still sleep with it every night.  I remember when Dave and I first started dating and I sat him down because I had something very important to tell him.  I was sure it was going to be a deal breaker when I told him I still slept with my woobie, but he somehow found it endearing.  My woobie has fallen apart and been stitched together more times than I can count. 

Jack has taken a liking to the woobs and as much as I love him, I'm not sure I'm ready to hand my first love over just yet.  I decided to make Jack is very own blanket that he can love and cherish for as long as he wants (even if it is into his 30s).  I found a neat idea for a blanket on a blog and immediately "pinned it" on Pinterest.  If you don't know what Pinterest is, it is a website where you can basically bookmark ideas that you find online and share them with your friends.  If you want an invite, let me know.

So anyway, here's what I did.

I went and bought my fabric:


Then I got to sewing, this blanket has some almost quilt like qualities so it took quite a bit of sewing. I basically sewed all five layers on top of one another in diagonal lines about a half inch apart all the way across the fabric.  Then I cut in between the stitched lines (which was quite a bit of cutting). 

Dave decided to help me out with some of the cutting:



 After it was cut, I added some binding and threw it in the wash.  As soon as it was clean and dry, I handed it over to Jack.  It was love at first site!

Do you think he loves it?!

Playing coy.

Testing his woobie out from all angles.


By sewing the fabrics in so many lines and then cutting them, the cut fabrics curl up and make a "chenille" type fabric.  I really like the final product and so does Jack.  The colors I picked remind me of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You are so talented!