02 July 2011

Feed Me, Seymour!

I called the pediatricians office on Thursday because Jack has been making a strange noise that sounds like he's struggling to breathe.  I wasn't sure if he had just learned a new noise and was using to scare me or if he was really struggling to breathe.  When the nurse called me back, she asked a variety of questions like: does he have a fever?, is he throwing up?, are his eyes watery?, etc.  I also mentioned that he hasn't been sleeping well and whenever I lay him down to sleep he wakes up screaming immediately.  The nurse suggested we come in and see the doctor since he had leaky eyes, was making the weird noise when he ate and was screaming when put to bed.  She said it sounded like he had an ear infection.

So Jack and I headed to the doctor's office.  First we met with the nurse and she took his weight (18 pounds, 8.4 ounces) and asked all the same questions.  I noticed that his weight had gone down slightly (less than an ounce) and asked if that was a problem.  She said, that I should discuss that with the doctor-she didn't want to worry me.  The doctor came in an checked out his eyes, ears and nose.  His nose and ears were clear (no ear infection) and his eyes were a little red and leaky.  The doctor prescribed some eye drops to clear up whatever is going on in eyes.  I asked about his weight loss and he said that it appears that Jack is hungry and that probably explains why he has been a little cranky and waking up so many times throughout the night.  He told me to start feeding him lunch (in addition to his breakfast and dinner that he already eats) and give him some water or juice each day. 

I started the new feeding schedule on Friday.  He's doing well with all of the eating but drinking from a sippy cup is a bit of a challenge.  He gets the water in his mouth and then it just runs right out.  We will continue to try.  It would be a shame for him to still be drinking out of a bottle when he goes to college. 

Here is a video of Jack discussing how he feels about the sippy cup:
(by the way, Jack loves watching videos of himself)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I love Jack's discussion with the sippy cup:)