07 July 2011

Pinch and Sting

***This post contains medical symptoms and procedures. It may not appeal to those faint of heart*** 

I've been experiencing a little pain in my big toe for the past couple weeks.  I thought it would just go away.  It was red, swollen and I saw a little puss come out a couple times.  I will repeat:  I thought it would just go away.

Yesterday, I was at Pilates and my instructor was admiring everyone's pedicures.  When she came upon my toes she said, "What happened to your toe?"  I said, "I don't know, it's been hurting a little bit."  She then said, "That's an ingrown nail and you need to see your doctor."

When I got home, I called the doctor and made an appointment.  Unfortunately, my regular doctor wasn't available (I think it's my fault, since I've recommended him to so many people) so I had to see another doctor.

I was quite nervous to go to the doctor this morning.  The doctor came in and confirmed my Pilates instructor's suspicions-I had an ingrown nail.  The doctor then told me that I'd need to go in for a "procedure".  A nurse came in and took me to the "Procedure Room".

To make a long story-short, he numbed my toe, cut my toe nail, removed the ingrown part, cleaned me up, and bandaged me.  When the doctor extracted the ingrown nail, the nurse let out an astonished "WOW!".  I apparently, I had the biggest ingrown toenail they had every seen (not to brag or anything).  The worst part of the whole procedure was when the doctor numbed me.  He said, "You will feel a little pinch and stinging."  He really underplayed how badly it would hurt.  I will admit, I asked for an epidural several times!

Do you think the bandage is big enough?


In true Elizabeth form, I joked with the doctor and told him that this would really effect my daily chores and I would probably need a doctors note.  I was pleasantly surprised when he came through for me:

Photo has been edited to protect the innocent.
 I'm still in a bit of pain, but I should be feeling better soon.
 

4 comments:

Allison said...

Wish I could find a doc like that!

Anna said...

What a brilliant pilates instructor you must have :)

Kristen said...

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Mary Jane said...

Ouch - doesn't it hurt, I had the same thing last week - the injection was arghhhh bite something!!!!! wish you well soon, mine's healed now... big toe left foot

xx