16 June 2010

Summertime, Summertime, Sum-sum-summertime...


I have never really had a summer off since I turned 15 and got my first real job as a lifeguard and it's never really phased me.  I just knew that if I had the free time, I should be working or taking classes or both.  When I started teaching, I spent the first few summers directing a summer camp.  Then I started working for the year-round schools in Raleigh and so I've been working year-round again.  The good thing about working for the year-round schools is that I still get my 2 months off but they are spread throughout the year and therefore I don't get a second job to fill my time.  With all of this said, I really really really want this summer off!  I have been so jealous of all of my teacher friends who have been talking about the end of the school year and what they are going to do with their summers.  The countdowns in the classrooms that I visited nearly killed me!  It's not that I have any great plans on how I would spend my summer off, I just really think it would be cool to sleep in and wander to the pool and read trashy novels all day.

But alas, I must leave my dream world...and tomorrow, I will go back to work.

Hey internet, what are your fabulous summer plans?

1 comment:

Kori said...

Liz, i kind of know what youre saying. I know you have a few years on me.. but I don't remember the last summer where I worked less than 40 hours a week, and rarely had days off.. This is the first summer that it's not like that. I am loving it to the fullest. I hope you get a chance to feel what it's like, having free time in the summmmertime! The time will come, and it will be the best summer you've ever had. I am thinking, next summer. Me, you and the baby, lounging at the pool all day, going on the weekly beach vaca?