01 September 2011

The Adventures of the Limpy Dog and the No-Napping Baby

Yesterday, when I got home from my Weight Watchers meeting, I noticed that Molly was limping...and not just a little bit.  She wasn't putting any weight on her back right leg. Great, this is just what I need!  I put Jack down and then tried to examine Molly's leg to see if I could figure out what was wrong (you know, with all of those veterinary medicine classes I took?!).  My assistant, Scout, was on hand to help me out by trying to sit in my lap so that I didn't give Molly too much attention.  I didn't notice anything abnormal about her leg and she didn't yelp or show any discomfort while I examined her.  It could be that she is so attention starved that it was just nice to have some human contact!  She continued to limp and look pitiful in general so I called the vet (the real vet).  I had planned to call them yesterday to set up appointments for Molly and Scout for their annual check-ups so when I called I told them that I needed an annual check-up with a side of limpy dog.  I was able to get in a few hours later...which was an entirely different event in itself.  Getting Jack and ONE dog in the car was way harder than getting all three of my children in the car.  I had to leash Molly up, tie strap Jack down into his car seat and trick Scout into not running our the door with us.

So, we finally make it to the vet and I weigh Molly (she's up 7 pounds from last year) and then I weigh Jack in his car seat (they almost weighed the same-could be a fun time on a seesaw).  Molly will be going on Roady's Diet of Deprivation and Denigration when I lessen her food and tell her she is fat as often as possible.  That diet worked wonders for Scout when she was a porker. We were taken back to the examining room and the doctor came in to examine Molly.  Everything looked good (heart was good, hips and knees were fine, and muscles seemed okay) and then I noticed a little reddish mark on her "ankle" area.  The doctor looked at it and thought that Molly might have been stung by something.  She took her in the back and shaved that area of her leg and then they both came back.  The doctor said that is looked like Molly had either been stung by something or had gotten a nasty scratch.  Shwew!  I'm so glad we didn't have to do x-rays or anything more expensive invasive.  We were sent home with a couple pain killers and and much less limpy dog.

Jack was such a good boy while we were at the vets office.  He was happy to look around and smile and everything.

Here are a few picture I took with my phone while there:

Jack is happy to be at the Vet

Jack notices the camera

Jack checks out Molly to see if she's okay

another smile for the camera

What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis Molly?

The area of question

2 comments:

The Stolle Family said...

You are a much better doggy mom than me. Last week Izzy (my pup) had a swollen lip. The left side was all puffy and BIG! What do I do? Tell her she shouldn't be chasing/eating flying bugs because she probably caught a bee and it was her own fault. No sympathy from me.

THanks for all your updates, I love reading your blog and getting my daily dose of laughter!

Kristen said...

Glad Molly is feeling better! Hope the diet works for her...I hear there is much success with that one in particular! :)