11 September 2011

Where Were You?

On September 11, 2001 I was driving down Glenwood Avenue heading to my 9 o'clock class.  Something came on the radio saying that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.  It was all so abstract to me.  I knew the World Trade Center buildings were in NYC, but I had no connection to them.  When I got on campus, everyone was buzzing about the news.  My professor turned on the television in our class and we watched the coverage.  I remember eventually heading home and just wanting to be with the people that I cared about.

I have since made many friends that are from New York and were there on that tragic day.  Hearing their stories always makes me emotional and thankful that they survived such a tragedy.

Yesterday, I was a part of an event that paid homage to those lost on that day ten years ago.  The Tunnel To Towers 5k in Wake Forest was a race honoring all of the service people and civilians affected on 9/11.  The money raised by the event went to the Stephen Siller "Let Us Do Good" Children's Foundation.  Stephen Siller was a NYC Firefighter who gave the ultimate sacrifice on 9/11.  Instead of guaranteeing his safety by continuing on his journey out of the city.  He turned around and went back in.  When he could drive no further, he strapped on all of his 60 pounds of gear and ran the 3 miles back to the burning, terrifying chaos.  Then he went to work.

Stephen's family created the Tunnel to Towers run in his honor and then someone in Wake Forest who was touched by his story decided to do a similar race here.

I am always emotional at races.  I know how much work people put into their training and how it is such an accomplishment to train, run and finish a race.  This race put my emotions into overdrive!  There was a pair on fire boots in honor of the 343 firefighters who lost their lives that day.  Each pair was adorned with American flags and a plaque with the person's name.  These 686 boots were lining the last stretch to the finish line.  If that wasn't enough, there was about 40 firefighters who ran the 5k in full turnout gear.  There was even one man who ran with the breathing apparatus.  There were also other service men and women running in uniform including their 60 pound packs.

I know that Jack is young, but I still made a point of showing him all of the "heroes" at the race. I would explain to him that they are the ones that make our life so good.  They protect us and are the reason that the United States is such a great place to live.

The race has grown quite a bit since it was started three years ago.  If you are in the area, I encourage you to be a part of this great event next year!

I was able to get a few pictures while there:

The boots that lined the road

One of the firefighters finishing the race

Jack posed for a picture with one of the heroes

This group started the race together and finished together - "Leave No Man Behind"






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this, perfectly written and made me cry, too. (:

Mary Austin said...

I am watching stories of 9-11 on OWN. Thanks for sharing news about the race, Elizabeth. It has been an emotional day. What an amazing tribute! God bless America!

Aunt Kori said...

Amazing and touching. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure Jack took it all in.. the pic of him looking up at the flags is perfection. XOXO.

Lin said...

Great pictures and very poignant. I'm sure Jack will ask about these when he gets older.
Lin