27 June 2011

Defeated

I try to keep the blog upbeat and positive all while "keeping it real" so this read may be a little different than usual. 

Some days just get the best of me and today was one of those days.  Actually, it was tonight that really got the best of me.  Dave is out of town again this week and won't be home until Saturday.  I think that Jack senses his absence and gets a little out of sorts.  Deep down, I think Jack and Dave are in cahoots.  Jack acts up while Dave is out of town so that I will appreciate Dave even more when he is here.  Jack and Dave:  if you are reading this, I really really really appreciate you so please cut me some slack.  Jack was very clingy today.  He didn't want to play with any of his toys, he just wanted me to hold him and play with him.  Don't get me wrong, I love Jack and really love playing with him, but I also like him to play independently occasionally so I can use the bathroom and give my arms a break from the 19 pound bouncing baby.  By the time eight o'clock rolled around (Jack's bedtime) I was ready for him to go to bed.  After over an hour and lots and lots of crying, Jack is finally down for the night (or at least until he gets up to feed in a few hours).

I call Dave and I tell him how our day has been and then I automatically feel bad that I am causing him worry.  I would never keep anything from him, but I also hate to worry him.  I know that he feels bad that he's not here and then when we have a rough day it makes him feel even worse.

It's hard because Dave was out of town two weeks ago and then we were all at the beach last week (where Jack didn't do a lot of good sleeping or napping) and now Dave is out of town again this week.

I know (and have always known) that travel is part of Dave's job.  It is because Dave works so hard that I am afforded the luxury of retiring at such a youngish age.  I try very hard not to complain about Dave traveling, but sometimes I just want our little family all together.

I hope that today was the worst of it and the rest of the week will be smooth sailing.

Now, to end this on a happy note. Here is a sweet picture of Jack from the beach:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why don't we switch babies tomorrow night and see what happens? Millie cried from 7:30-9:30 and while my husband is here to help me, he almost pulled all of the remaining hair he has left out while Maniac Millie was here. It's worth a shot, right?
Laura H