27 September 2010

Sleep Interupted by Naps

We had a very long day on Saturday.  Dave and I got up at 5 o'clock to head down to the Women's Distance Festival 5k downtown.  I'm the Volunteer Coordinator for North Carolina Roadrunners Club and had coordinated all of the volunteers for this race.  We loaded up my chair and got down there around 6 to make sure everything went off without a hitch.  I sat the whole time and signed in the volunteers and answered questions while Dave was in charge of the finish line.  We had a great time and everyone seemed to enjoy the race. 

When we got home, we bathed and got dressed for Pa's funeral service at Springmoor.  Although, the funeral service was very sad, a wonderful tribute was paid to Pa.  I would never have imagined so many people would have shown up for a nearly 96 year old man.  We had originally planned on having the service in the chapel at Springmoor but decided to move it to the auditorium due to the number of people attending.  Many people got up and spoke at the service and all had wonderful things to say about Pa.  The obituary had said that Pa had "4 1/2 great-grandchildren; Tripp, Delaney, Madison, Dylan and TBD."  I guess a lot of people had read the obituary, because everyone was coming up to me asking if I had the 1/2 great-grandchild or if I was carrying TBD.  I refrained from saying, "No, I just had a big lunch. What, are you calling me fat?".  It was great to see so many family and friends-but it was sad that we had to do it under those circumstances.

That evening, after I took yet another shower, we went over to a friend's house and hung out for a while.  I quickly perched myself on the couch since that is what I would be doing if I were at home.  It was good to be around so many people on Saturday.  It really helped to get my mind off of things.

I clearly did too much on Saturday because I slept nearly all of Sunday.  I got up at 7:30 and then returned to bed until 11:30.  When I got up, I ate a brunch of leftover pizza and hung out on the couch.  My friend, Tina, called and said she had made a bunch of chicken noodle soup and asked if she could bring some by.  I never turn down food!  She brought by a vat of chicken noodle soup, some bread and some cookies.  Man, what a great friend!  By about 1 o'clock, I fell asleep on the couch for a couple hours.  Then I woke up and watched some tv.  Around 5:30, our friends Shane and Bridgett texted that they had a surprise to drop off.  So they came by with some coconut cupcakes and a present for Baby.  Well, as many of you know, coconut cake is my favorite so I was thrilled by this little surprise.  They also had a sweet NC State onesie for Baby.  Pa would be so happy to see his great-grandbaby sporting some Wolfpack Pride.

Baby trying on his new outfit from Auntle McBridgett

No comments: