22 March 2011

Ouch!

*This post involves the mentioning of my breasts.  If you don't want to hear about it, move on.*

Yesterday, I had my second private pilates lesson.  It was a great workout and I knew that I would be feeling it later.  It has been several months since I have been able to work out so I was quite prepared for some pain.  I was right, last night I started to feel achy and tired.  When I went to bed, I noticed that my left breast was sore.  Clearly, I didn't use my breast during my pilates workout so I just assumed that it was full and I would have Jack nurse on that side first.

Well, to make a long story short, the pain in my breast increased and the aches in my body also increased.  This morning, I was completely run down, sore all over and my breast felt like it had been the target of a dodge ball game involving bowling balls.

I called the lactation consultant at our pediatricians office and she said that it sounded like I had mastitis.  She told me to call my OBs office and that I should get an antibiotic as soon as possible.  I have heard of mastitis, but wasn't exactly sure what all it entailed.  I remember years ago, my aunt had a goat that got mastitis and they had to shoot the goat because of it.  I was really hoping that my doctor would have a different approach to rectifying my mastitis than my aunt did with her goat.

I went to the OB and she prescribed me an antibiotic that I have to take four times a day for ten days.  When I got home, I felt progressively worse and just got in bed and slept for a few hours.  It almost felt like I had the flu-fever, chills, body aches, run down.  I'm so thankful that Dave works from home and was able to take care of Jack.  I am on the mend and beginning to feel a little bit better.  I should feel a lot better in the next couple days.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

OH dear, well wishes to you. Nursing can be tough enough, to have to deal with this too! *sigh* You'll be back on your breasts in no time. *wink*

Mary Jane said...

Sorry to hear that - it's very sore I remember it well... get well soon xx

reader1 said...

Rest and hydrate! Hope you feel better soon. P.S. I'm glad you didn't end up like the goat :)

reader1 said...

OK...I've never posted on this before...somehow I'm now "reader1"
AKA Liz F.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! Reader1...so prestigious!!!

Susan Doss said...

Feel better! And I agree... I'm glad you didn't end up like the goat!