07 March 2011

Drip, Drip, Drip

This afternoon, I pulled the Pack 'n Play out and noticed something funny on the carpet behind it.  There appeared to be a mushroom growing on the carpet (gross!).  Upon further investigation, I noticed that the other side of the wall (in the hallway) was discolored.  I told Dave and he went down in the crawl space to see if he saw anything unusual.  He said there was some water dripping from one of the beams under the house.  SUPER!

I have a friend who owns a plumbing company so I called the office to see if someone could come over and check things out.  Within 30 minutes, Jess the plumber arrived.  He said he would have to cut a hole in the wall to see where the water was coming from.  So he cut a hole in the wall down close to the floor since that is where we found the discoloration and mushroom (gross!).  When he cut, he saw that there was, in fact, some moisture on the pipes.  Unfortunately, the moisture went up further than he could see or feel from his hole in the wall.  So then came another hole in the wall higher up, and then another hole and then a hole in the wall in the master bedroom.  Then Jess came back downstairs and put a two holes in the ceiling.  All of these holes were used to find the origin of the leak.  As it turns out, the hole was in the pipe right up behind the crown molding.  Once Jess fixed that pipe, he noticed that another pipe was leaking in the same place so he replaced that pipe as well.

All of this investigation and repair took several hours and has left us with about 6 holes in the wall.  I know that they holes were completely necessary in order to find the leak, but it's still a little sad to look at my holy walls.  After Jess left, my friend Jimmy (owner of Lane Plumbing) called to see how everything went.  I asked him if he knew a good drywall guy that could come fix our holes and he said he would send his guy out to take care of it.  Jimmy Lane is not only one hell of a good plumber, but he is a class act and overall nice guy.  I'm thankful to have him on my team!

the aftermath

No comments: