29 November 2010

Christmas Memories

As many of you know, I am a fairly organized person and I pride myself on that.  For all of my adult life I have gotten my Christmas holiday cards in the mail by the day after Thanksgiving (no sooner and no later).  This year, I am unable to do that since I would like to feature Baby in our holiday cards and not just the dogs or the dogs, Dave and I.  This has caused me a bit of anxiety since about July or August when I realized that my plans would be foiled this year. 

I have, however, been able to keep with the tradition of getting my Christmas tree up and decorated the day after Thanksgiving.  Our old tree broke last year and we needed to get a new one this year.  The day before Thanksgiving, Dave and I went out and picked out the tree that we liked so that Dave could go out and purchase it the day after Thanksgiving when it was on major discount.  We ended up getting our new tree for half price!  The tree is up and decorated and we are hoping that Molly doesn't destroy it whenever we are not home.


We also got a picture of Molly and Scout in their finest Christmas attire.  Scout has always loved wearing her Santa hat each year, but this year it's a little difficult because her sister wants to choke her with it.


This wouldn't be a complete Christmas post without sharing one of my favorite Christmas memories (much to my mother's chagrin).  Many, many years ago when I was a little girl, my parents decided it was time to go out to the local tree lot and purchase our Christmas tree.  Mom, Dad, Allison and I all piled in the red Jeep Cherokee and headed down to the Lions Club Christmas Tree Lot to pick out and purchase out tree.  When we got there, they were closed.  There is only a small rope marking off the lot so we stepped over the rope and picked out our tree and then tied it to the top of the car and headed home.  Yes, we stole our Christmas tree!*  One the way home, we stopped by the hardware store to pick up some necessity.  My dad ran into the store while Mom, Allison and I waited in the car.  When Dad came out of the store we watched him walk over to another red Jeep Cherokee (with a woman sitting in the front seat) and get in.  As it turns out, the woman sitting that Jeep Cherokee was none other than the Mayor's wife.  Dad wasn't really paying attention and I'm fairly certain that he startled Mrs. Frank as well as himself.  Having witnessed this whole spectacle, we were all laughing hysterically in our car as Dad made his blunder. Ahhh, the good times growing up in the Roady household.

*Mom would like for me to clarify that she did go back to the Lions Club Christmas Tree Lot the next day to pay for the tree that we stole the night before.  I think it would have been wise for her to take her young, impressionable child with her so that she would know that Mommy didn't steal a Christmas tree.  That is why the story gets told the way it does each year.

1 comment:

Mary Austin said...

lol. Love the pictures. The Austins have many tree tales as well. One was when the tree came off the top of the car on Rt. 17. Thankfully, it rolled onto the grassy median. Another was when Mr. Austin walked into a metal support pole that was crotch high. He was holding the purchased tree like a Mr. Atlas and had no sense of direction, I guess. Came to his senses at that moment,though. We all laughed loud and (in)appropriately. Merry Christmas to all!!