27 April 2012

Building a Play Area - Part 2

At the end of Part 1 the play area had been framed and the fence had been installed but the area inside the frame was still uneven and sloped. The next step was to add some (5 cubic yards) landscape soil to the lowest area to bring it up closer to level. I forgot to take a photo of the mountain of soil that was delivered before I moved it all to the backyard and racked it in to place, but take it from me, it was heavy and difficult to move!

Landscape soil raked in to place
We had scheduled the delivery of the top layer of "playground mulch" for two days after the landscape soil to give me a chance to get the soil moved in to place but I was thankful that the delivery happened early in the morning a day later that we had planned as we avoided a big thunderstorm that would have made the mulch much heavier and harder to move. The photo below shows the mulch mountain.

Mount Mulch
The mulch was easy to move with my trusty ice scraper (I could scoop about three times more with the ice scraper than I could with a normal shovel) and by 10am on Friday it was all racked in to place.

Mulched and ready to go!
This photo from above shows the very nearly finished play area with just the gate to finish over the weekend.

The view from above
The major part of the project was finished just in time as Jack's first big outdoor toy arrived about 4 hours after the mulch was racked in to place. Check back soon to see Jack use his playground for the first time.

No comments: