15 April 2010

Spotting

This morning, I followed my normal routine of waking up at 4:45 am to go to boot camp.  I went to boot camp and got my butt kicked and kindly handed to me and then proceeded home for my shower before heading to work.  As I was getting ready to get in my shower, I noticed that I had started bleeding some and was pretty worried about it.  I told Dave and then got in the shower (nobody needs to smell me after boot camp).  It was still pretty early and the doctor's office wasn't open yet so I had to wait about an hour before I could call to get an appointment.  When 8 o'clock finally rolled around, I called my doctor's office and answered seven thousand questions and then was given a time to come in.  Nobody was available until that afternoon so I headed on to work and made a plan to meet Dave at the doctor's office for the appointment.

Once we both made it to the doctor's office (Dave got a little lost) we got sent back to the ultrasound room.  When the doctor came in, I was rather amused by his tone of voice (imagine Mr. Rogers mixed with a little helium) and his obvious hair plugs.  I had to use all of my energy to not look at his hair or giggle at the way he talked to me.  He asked a few questions about my history and then cut the lights so he could do an ultrasound.   The picture finally came up on the television and he said that everything looked pretty good.  We saw a heartbeat and judging by the size of the blob, the doctor said I was in my sixth week (which is what we had already figured).  He told me to get dressed and meet him in his office and he would explain everything to us.  The doctor said that some spotting is not uncommon in the first trimester but prescribed some medication that should help strengthen my uterus and reduce anymore bleeding.  He said that I should also stop exercising until I'm out of the first trimester-if I feel better once I'm in the second trimester I can resume some exercising.  He also asked that we come back in a couple weeks for another check-up.

He also gave us a copy of our ultrasound pictures (which he attached to some cutesy printer paper) and drew a diagram so we would know what we are looking at.


Our next appointment is scheduled for May 3.  We'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: