16 October 2012

Baby Love-cont'd

When I last left off, I was telling you all about my first true love Andy.  It was a long-winded story about slow dancing in the streets, long distance romance, hot and fresh Krispy Kreme donuts, I searching and finding a long lost friend.  Some questions that I have received since I published that post... 

How does Dave feel about your searching for Andy?
     Dave knows that he is my one and only.  He also knows that I know a lot of people and don't forget much.  Unfortunately for Dave, his warranty with me is up and he is stuck with me FOREVER!  He is happy that I have found one of my earliest friends and he looks forward to meeting Andy and his family.
How freaked out was Andy when you stalked found him?
     Andy didn't seem freaked out at all.  I like to think that he was as excited to reconnect as I.
Ummm, What about Andy's wife?
     I assume she is fine with everything.  Andy was just my first true love...not my last and I think the last true love is the most important!  He said that she and I would be fast friends--based on our love of cupcakes!
When will there be a reunion?
     I guess we'll just have to wait for our schedules to align.  It will happen and it will be awesome and I'm sure I will blog about it.  My mom has already threatened to crash said reunion (and I'm sure Andy's mom will do the same)!


Now...back to the story at hand...

I think Jack has found his first true love.  Yes, I know, I have called many girls Jack's girlfriend/fiancee, but I think this one might be the real deal.  Most of the girls that Jack has been attached to have been because I am good friends with their mothers.  He happily plays with them and truly enjoys their company, but I have never seen Jack interact with anyone the way that he interacts with Ally.  I've actually never seen any child Jack's age interact with another child the same age the way these two do.

*Are you ready for a little child development lesson?*
Most kids are still in the solitary play stage at this age-meaning that they are dependent on adult guidance, they may play with dolls, are socially very immature, have little concept of others as “people”, and they may respond to simple direction.  Some kids are even in the parallel play stage- meaning they enjoy being by others, will take turns, enjoy brief group activities requiring no skill, and like to “help” in small ways–respond to verbal guidance.  I would say that Jack is in the parallel play stage most of the time, but when he is with Ally they are both very much demonstrating cooperative play- they enjoy each others company, are highly social, play loosely organized games and carry on conversations with each other (although we can't tell what they are saying).  Most kids don't get to the cooperative play stage until about four years old.  Now, I'm not saying that Jack is crazy advanced or anything.  He certainly doesn't not play like this all the time, but most of the time when he is with Ally, they are very much playing together. 

The excitement I see in their eyes when they see each other is priceless.  They hug, they talk (in their very own language), sometimes they kiss, they play silly games--all without prompting.  As an educator, I am fascinated by their interactions.  As a mother, I am in awe.  When I watch Jack and Ally play together, I am immediately brought back to my time as a child with Andy.  I can picture these two having sleepovers and walking to each others house in the snow.  I know that Ally will be as much a part of our family as I was Andy's and I'm sure Jack will be welcomed just the same.  And, while I thought the love between Andy and I could never be matched, I feel certain that Jack and Ally are on the same path.


I haven't taken a lot of pictures of the two of them together, but I'll share some of the ones I have.



Ally has a couch that can fold out into a bed.  One day, Jack and I were over for a playdate and Jack one of the kids unfolded the couch.  Next thing we know, Ally is laying on the bed-under the cover and Jack is right there next to her.  He then leans over and gives her a kiss.  This was completely unprompted.  After a while, Jack got out of the bed and Ally began to pat the bed like she was telling him to come back to bed.  This went on for a good 10 minutes.  At 21/22 months this is very cute.  I hope they get in out of their system before puberty sets in!


Here is Jack and Ally playing under an end table.  One of them climbed under it and then the other thought that was a great idea and joined in.  While under there, they talked to each other, giggled, and generally made a mess of things.






Before we left that afternoon, Jack and Ally made sure to give each other a hug goodbye.  My heart melts!

I'm sure we will have our ups and downs and there will come a time when Jack doesn't like girls and Ally doesn't like boys, but I hope that these two will continue to build on their friendship and won't take a 20 year break from each other before reconnecting and trying to make up for lost time.

Psst...don't forget to enter our baby pool. Go to http://mulleymusings.blogspot.com/2012/10/baby-2-baby-pool.html for more details!

No comments: