08 August 2012

Athletics

Today was the last Olympic event we were attending and we got to go inside the Olympic Stadium for Athletics (Track & Field).  We were, once again, amazed at how good our seats were.  We were just 11 rows from the track.  I'll try to tell this tale with minimal words and lots of pictures:

Dave outside of the stadium in front of the rings

Dave and Elizabeth when we first got in the stadium

The Olympic flame

See how close we were to the field

Pole Vaulters warming up

Wenlock showing of his moves

Sir Patrick Stewart saying hello to the Mulleys

The Minis get ready to take the field

The Mini waiting for the hammer so it can be returned

Sir Patrick (getting toasty by the flame)

Pole Vaulters in action

Decathlon 100m start

Hammer throw

Decathlon 100m in action

Decathlon praying getting ready to set

Mo Farah in the 5000m heats

Mo again

and again

After the 5000m heat

Mo Farah waited for the last guy to finish and then walked him in--that's a true Olympian

Galen Rupp in his 5000m heat

Alysia Montano in the 800m

Decathlon Long Jump

I wasn't the only blimp in attendance...

"Street" performers outside the stadium

The crazy crowds of people making their way into and out of the Olympic Park
I cannot emphasize enough how wonderful our Olympic experience was.  All of the volunteers and workers were very friendly and so helpful.  If we had a question or even just wanted someone to take a picture for us, all we had to do was ask.  I was treated like royalty because I am pregnant.  No waiting in lines and if I was tired I was told to flag down a golf cart and they would transport me.  I think London did a wonderful job of hosting the Games and they should be very proud of themselves!  Somehow the good people of Great Britain were even able to schedule beautiful weather for a majority of the days.  I mean, who else goes to London on holiday and comes home sunburned like me?

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

Where are the pics of you riding the golf cart? Sounds like you had an amazing trip!