17 March 2012

That Was Easy

As you know, the Mulleys are going to England this summer to see our family and participate in go to the Olympics.  Because we are leaving the country, Jack needed a passport.  No, he cannot be on our passports (a very common question we have gotten).  Here's how the process went...

1.  Went to get Jack's picture taken for the passport.  It took over 30 minutes to get his picture because he wouldn't stop smiling.  My boy has never met a camera he didn't love.  The girl at Sears said he wasn't allowed to smile in his picture and I kindly told her that it was either smile or cry.  I think she finally wore him down or caught him right before a sneeze and we were finally able to leave.

Jack's mugshot passport picture
2.  We called to make an appointment with the local passport office and were quite surprised to find that the first available appointment in all of the Raleigh area was over a month away.

3.  We filled out the appropriate forms and made all necessary copies so that we had everything ready when the big day came.

3.  We waited and waited and waited...

4.  Dave found out that he would be traveling the week of our passport appointment.  This is important because both parents need to be present when getting a passport for a minor.  I guess there are crazy people out there that steal their children and leave the country.  Since Dave was not able to be present, he had to get another form notarized saying that he gave consent for Jack to get a passport.

5.  The big day finally arrived.  I gathered up all of the pertinent documents (and Jack) and headed off to the passport office.  I was sure it was going to be a long wait (it took me several hours the last time I got my passport) so I had books and snacks and milk and water and blankets and all kinds of things to keep Jack occupied.  We walked into the office about 10 minutes before our appointment time and walked out before we were even scheduled to begin!  The lady working behind the desk was very appreciative of my organization and was very efficient herself.  She commented on Jack looking so sad in his photo and I told her about the whole debacle with getting his picture taken.  She said, "Oh honey, babies can smile in their pictures."  I almost had the woman retake his picture right there...but I refrained.  My mom always said that you should look like you need a vacation in your passport picture.  Jack certainly fits that bill.

6.  Today, less than 3 weeks after we submitted the application for Jack's passport, it arrived in the mail.  The lady said it would take between 4 and 6 weeks-probably closer to 6.  Apparently, the people saw Jack's picture and thought he really needed a vacation and put a rush on his passport.

We are one step closer to our trip to England.  We can't wait to see everyone and give them big squeezes!

No comments: