27 September 2012

What Would You Do?

Jack has been invited to his first birthday party by one of his classmates.  I do not know this child nor his parents and I'm not even sure if Jack interacts with this child on a regular basis (since Jack doesn't really talk much-he doesn't tell be about his classmates).  This child is getting ready to turn 3-Jack is the youngest in his class.  My immediate reaction was "No", but then I read the invitation and there will be ponies there for the kids to ride and I was like "That sounds like fun for Jack".

I'm pretty sure Jack was invited because of the school rule; "if you bring the invites to school to distribute, you must invite everyone in the class." 

This is a tough one for me.  I don't want my kid to be left out, but I also don't want to take him to the party and nobody play with him.  There is a big difference between a 3 year old and 1.5 year old.

So I'm asking you, Interweb...

How Would You RSVP?


*feel free to comment with your reasoning*

4 comments:

Susie Q said...

Go have fun. There may be others there that are younger... family... friends... neighbors. Who knows, you may meet your next new best friend (or Jack's)!

Mike said...

I agree. Go and see if they'll let you ride the pony!

Anonymous said...

If Jack generally seems to enjoy his classes, he probably does play with at least some of the other children (and they with him). He's such a positive and outgoing little guy! If he starts to tire before the older partygoers, you can always leave gracefully.

BTW, I was usually one of the youngest in my classes and that was rarely an issue.

Wendy said...

I would not have him go if you don't know the child or their parents. He'll never remember not going. The child won't remember that he wasn't there. They aren't going to make fun of him at school the next day - they are too young. It would be a whole other story if you knew the parents and the child.